[Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

Hook Family ghf at townisp.com
Thu Nov 2 07:23:47 EST 2006

I agree with the below statement.  This is what gets glossed over in all the
pro Nais propaganda "protection", making the food "safe".  How safe did
those few hundreds or thousand spinach eaters feel.  With trace BACK people
often many people have to get sick first.  And from what I've read on other
sites by  an underfunded and corporate run organization.  Just the fact that
ID chip makers are on the "committee" for this program makes me think the
reasons for the program are not especially altruistic.

Just this summer there was an online Yahoo article about how they are
testing fewer animals for MadCow at processing plants, oh but the powers
that be so care about the publics health, yeh right.

I have also read that every cow leaving a processing plant can be tested for
Mad Cow for a few cents each a much better use of the consumers money in my
opinion (they pay to get sick with NAIS).

I think more effort should be made to send uncontaminated food into the food
chain in the first place, most small farms already do the big guys just want
easy fixes, pasteurization, radiation, Id chips.  If "they" really want safe
food this program isn't it.  Beth

>From another post:
Aside from that, I don't think the NAIS will work. Most contaminated meat
isn't caught until (like the recent spinach problem) it's mixed with tons
of other meat and on the supermarket shelves. Instead of one cow's-worth
of contaminated meat, we've got tons.  Feedlots where e. coli breeds and
the huge operations that mix tons of ground meat together are the problem.
Once the animal is cut up and comingled with other meat, tracking does no
good.