[Market-farming] NAIS

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Wed Nov 1 05:12:12 EST 2006

Brigette,

Do you think NAIS as it stands will really work to trace back all
pathogens especially when the big farms will get exemptions? I too
understand traceback but we already have this with USDA organics, the
scrapie testing and do we need this for non food animals? and what about
produce which is the source of about 50% of food born illness. Will NAIS
keep e-coli 157 from getting into the water system? i don't think so.
All I see is yet another unfunded mandate, another badly written and
vague regulation small farmers must follow. the argument about not being
able to afford this is valid especially for small farmers whop are just
starting up and my not have a lot of income yet nor resources for the
money. Sure we can just all go out of business leaving the big guys
behind and isn't that what the WTO/USDA/industrial ag want any how? The
demise of the small diversified farmer?

I also do not like the idea of my livestock becoming a part of the
national herd once I register my farm and the animals being a part of
the national herd means they really do not belong to me any longer and
the state can come in a dispose of them if they deem it necessary (and
not because there are any ill animals on the farm either). So unlike you
Brigette i am not at all in favor of the NAIS program as it currently
stands. I am not against traceability of animals but i do not think a
one size fits all for both industrial ag and human scale ag is the answer.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com