[Market-farming] Williams Tool System

John Hendrickson jhendric at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 27 19:33:30 EDT 2006

I know a couple here in Wisconsin who are very pleased with their Williams
Tool System.  They grow about 3 acres of mixed crops and use it for stale
bedding and with a variety of sweeps and knives.  I do not think their soil
is particularly stoney.  I would agree that it is unlikely to be as precise
and effective as some belly-mounted set-ups.  I was told by the Market Farm
Implement folks that they were preparing a video about the Williams
cultivator and I asked for one when it was ready but haven't seen anything yet.

Now for my cultivation question: what specific cultivators would folks
recommend for the following crops:

1. Roots (carrots, beets, turnips)

2. Alliums (onions, shallots, leeks and scallions)

I already have a wheel hoe and find this very helpful for both alliums and
roots but need something tractor-mounted as I look to expand.  Thanks.

-John