[Market-farming] Cooler/root cellar

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 16 11:14:16 EDT 2006

I'm thinking of making a combination walkin cooler and root cellar
(small...6x6 or 6x8). In spring/summer/early fall it would be a cooler for
produce (I'm outgrowing the refridgerator I bought for my farmstand). In
the fall, it would be kept a little warmer with high humidity to store
winter squash and root crops (I'm thinking of becoming a producer for a
winter CSA in the area...I NEED year-round income). I can still use the
fridge for lettuce, kale, and other cool-weather greens. I've found lots
of plans on the internet for both a cooler and a root cellar...do you
think the combination will work? Or does it need to be separate rooms? And
do I need a real refrigeration unit, or will something like a small room
air conditioner work to keep produce cool? I have to keep the cost
down...both building it and running it.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga Co. PA