[Market-farming] Garlic Scapes

Natalie Foster sngarlic at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 5 14:30:15 EDT 2006

I live in a state where even garlic is unusual so a few years ago when I
started marketing my scapes I really had to educate the people give them
plenty of recipes and make scape dip or scape pesto to sample. Now they sell
quickly and people talk about them ALL year waiting for them to be in
season. I sell them for $6.00 lbs. I put the curly ones out in a big bowl
and have a sign telling about them and saying they are $1.50 a bag and have
recipe sheets sitting by the bowl I have some bagged behind the counter so I
can keep the bowl full for the curious passer-bys . I bundle the straight
elephant scapes and sell them for $1.50 also. We now make hundreds of
dollars a year on scapes and if we do have a few left I dehydrate them and
sell them in jars as I do my garlic powder. A couple months ago I posted
about 30 recipes with scapes on this list.If anyone needs me to repost I
will. We grow 15 varieties of garlic and 12 of them produce scapes. This
year we had scapes from late April thru last week . This week I am
dehydrating the last scapes that were too dry to sell and will make powder
with them.
It is worth trying to sell them but you need to cook with them also so you
can share your experiences with your customers.
Natalie Foster
Cornerstone Garlic Farm
Farm Website
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=