[Market-farming] Buried T-Tape

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Jul 5 13:21:36 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:56:12AM -0700, Mr Lucky wrote:
> I haven't used t-tape for years but this year I bought a bunch. I buried it
> under the soil along with the seeds but now I'm thinking it wasn't such a
> smart idea.
> I've heard it tends to last just a season if you bury and I can live with

It seems just the opposite to me; that is, irrigation tubing lasts
longer if buried.  Though some insects bore through it and rodents dig
into to it buried, the problems seem worse when it is on the surface.
Here in central Texas, we can't rely on rainfall to bring crops up and
it is difficult to get bed tops wet with buried tubing.  For that
reason, I have reverted to surface placement.

> that, but I like to fertilize with a side dressing once the plants come up
> but without water hitting the fertilizer, is there any point? Should I use a
> foliar fertilizer? Any suggestions?

Chemical nitrogen fertilizers are highly hydrotropic (is that the
word?).  Just a bit of drizzle or even high humidity is enough to get
the fertilizer dissolved and into soil.