[Market-farming] scapes was shallots

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Jul 5 08:37:56 EDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

> How do you market garlic scapes? I had them at market for 2 weeks,
> bagged
> up in 1/4 bags, and spent a lot of time explaining what they were and
> how
> to use them. Not one person bought any. Another vendor had them, also,
> and
> no one bought hers, either.
>
> Lynn Wigglesworth
> Cowbridge Farm
> Tioga County, PA

I bunch them, about 9 or 10 to a bunch, held with a twistie; currently
at a dollar a bunch. (Price has been gradually going up.) They might
show up better this way than in a bag?

When I first started bringing them, hardly anyone bought any. I still
have to explain them; but I'm selling more of them every year. I've
noticed this with a lot of unusual stuff. Customers who were brave and
tried something then talk their friends into it.

They're also what I call a "stopper": the customer stops at your stall,
if only to ask, "What on earth is that?" Once stopped, they may buy
something else; even if they don't buy the stopper.