[Market-farming] BCS walk behind tractor

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Jul 3 22:36:22 EDT 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Nancy wrote:

> Hi everyone.  I am considering purchasing a walk behind tractor and
> want to get your thoughts on how it would work out for an older
> female.  Is this something that I could handle – I am physically fit
> but not a weight lifter.

I don't think you'll have any trouble. I am 55, female, and not as
strong as friends of mine who grew up farming all of their lives; I run
a Troybuilt Horse and can handle that with no problem. When I bought
the Troybuilt I trialed both it and a BCS and they were similar amounts
of work to run though the BCS vibrated more; but this was in the early
90's and newer ones might vibrate less, or you could get some
antivibration gloves if this bothered you. Troybuilt was sold some
years ago and I don't know if their quality is as good as it used to
be; plus which, if you want a walking tractor in the sense of something
you can use with various attachments, the BCS might be better for this.
I wanted primarily a rototiller.

You might want to avoid extremely old models. Some of those I think
were a real bear to use.

In case of doubt, just ask to try the thing out before you buy it. If
you're looking for a new model, there should be a dealer somewhere
around you. Bear in mind that it gets easier with a little practice.