[Market-farming] off-topic---chimneys and woodstoves

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Sep 26 19:38:17 EDT 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 1:59 PM, mtlivestock wrote:

> We have had this set-up for about 12+ years.  (This was here
> previous to moving here.)   We have had an increasing and alarming
> amount of
> creosote build-up in the stovepipe.  We replaced the stovepipe with a
> new
> one last year with little improvement.  Got a nasty fire last year and
> don't
> want a repeat. (roaring train type)
>
> I also wonder if the draft is just not right.  Sometimes you can smell
> soot
> in the house when running in winter and not running in summer.  MAYBE
> the
> stovepipe is too short???

Get your chimney inspected, fast, by somebody who really knows how. It
might just need cleaning; or it might be entirely unsafe as the lining
may be damaged (or, in an old enough chimney, nonexistent). A chimney
fire can damage the chimney. The next one might burn down the house.

Growth of trees, or anything else tall around the house that wasn't
there twelve years ago, might have affected the draft, too. Or there
might be a problem with the stove itself. Or are you burning greener
wood than you used to? Or the house might be too tight, and you might
need to pipe exterior air in to the stove. The only one of those
problems that would be fixed by triple wall pipe all the way up would
be the chimney liner, and I don't know whether you need triple wall for
that or not (though you do if you want to entirely replace the current
chimney). Talk to whoever locally enforces your local or state fire
codes.