[Market-farming] best precision seeder for small farm?

Goodwill at Homefields Farm scottb at lancastergoodwill.org
Mon Sep 26 11:10:48 EDT 2005


hi all,

we have about 6 acres of mixed veg. and want a good precision seeder that 
doesn't cost a fortune.  recommendations?
Looks like a Matermac single row is about 2,000.

Scott



At 12:00 PM 9/24/05, you wrote:
>Send Market-farming mailing list submissions to
>         market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         market-farming-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>         market-farming-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of Market-farming digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Hoophouse blower help (marcy)
>    2. sellig a farm (Tom at Limerock)
>    3. Re: sellig a farm (Cherry Tree Farms)
>    4. Re: sellig a farm (logrock)
>    5. RE milk & powdery mildew (Juanita Garcia)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:50:29 -0600
>From: "marcy" <marcy at aculink.net>
>Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse blower help
>To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Message-ID: <016501c5c078$0e25e460$a49d76cc at marcy>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>I've got a problem after a nasty wind last week - I'm assuming, though I 
>just noticed it yesterday.
>The inside part of the blower unit that attaches between the two layers of 
>poly has come loose and is at the bottom, near the frame.
>Any ideas how I can get it put back together without taking the side and 
>bottom loose?
>Just occured to me I might see if I can pull it up with a magnet, but even 
>so I don't think I can reattach it working through the outer layer...
>I don't see any way out of this!
>Thanks,
>Marcy
>SE Colo, zone 5
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: Shelly Elliott
>   To: Market Farming
>   Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:29 AM
>   Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seeking good irrigation supply company
>
>
>   Nan,
>   I use dripworks. Their commercial prices are much cheaper than their 
> published prices and the items arrive quickly and in great condition.
>   Shelly Elliott
>   Idle Thyme Farm
>   Carpenter, WY
>     ----- Original Message -----
>     From: Nan Johnson
>     To: marketfarming
>     Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:04 PM
>     Subject: [Market-farming] seeking good irrigation supply company
>
>
>     A sister market grower in Mississippi is seeking a decent irrigation 
> supply company that can work with her to figure out best solution.  She 
> has 24 raised beds, ranging from 4x8 to 4x48 feet (more on the 
> way!).  She is thinking only drip, not overhead (but not buried drip 
> either - she would prefer to cover with organic mulch but not bury in soil).
>
>      I apologize but I couldn't figure out how to access our market 
> farming archives...I know we have discussed this alot but I wasn't paying 
> attention at the time...many thanks on her behalf!
>
>     nan at dancing goats farm
>     n.mississippi, zone 7b
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     Market-farming mailing list
>     Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>     http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
>
>     Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>   _______________________________________________
>   Market-farming mailing list
>   Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>   http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
>
>   Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL: 
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/market-farming/attachments/20050923/dea31df4/attachment-0001.htm
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:44:50 -0400
>From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock at thirdplanet.net>
>Subject: [Market-farming] sellig a farm
>To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Message-ID: <003a01c5c0fd$5f5c23a0$c542a944 at limerock>
>Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>         reply-type=original
>
>Hello,  Let me apoligize up front if anyone feels this is a bit OT.
>
>We will not be farming any more.  Being located in an area that used to be
>very well-known for its fruit, but now known as a summer playground, only
>developers are interested (cost of  land).  We are on one of the last two
>family farms/roadside markets that are still in production.  Many of our
>customers are upset about our decision.
>
>Our only advertisement has been a sign out front (on a busy state highway).
>Any suggestions as to where we might advertise to farm folks (cheaply) would
>be appreciated (either posted here or personally, which ever you feel
>appropriate).
>
>Thank you.
>Tom Anslow
>Catawba Island, OH
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:23:09 -0400
>From: "Cherry Tree Farms" <ctfarms at helicon.net>
>Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sellig a farm
>To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Message-ID: <000f01c5c10b$1bfb9240$c54a4845 at ohno>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>Try a "farm paper" like the farmers friend or farm shine (I am not sure how
>much of OH either of them serve, there may be something better).  Lancaster
>Farming is another one that reaches some OH farmers.  Small Farm magazine is
>based in OH, their coverage may help.
>
>On the cheap, go for farm message boards:  Successful Farming has an
>electronic classifieds section.  Or go to www.dogpile.com and put in
>"farm-land-for-sale+OH" and see where those listings are from and find out
>where the free ones are then put up a list.  www.Localharvest.org may be a
>help as well.
>
>Sounds like a place where a major selling point could be access to all the
>customers with limited competition from other farmers.
>
>Good Luck,
>Doyle
>Atop the Alleghenies
>Western PA
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock at thirdplanet.net>
>To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 7:44 AM
>Subject: [Market-farming] sellig a farm
>
>
> > Hello,  Let me apoligize up front if anyone feels this is a bit OT.
> >
> > We will not be farming any more.  Being located in an area that used to be
> > very well-known for its fruit, but now known as a summer playground, only
> > developers are interested (cost of  land).  We are on one of the last two
> > family farms/roadside markets that are still in production.  Many of our
> > customers are upset about our decision.
> >
> > Our only advertisement has been a sign out front (on a busy state
>highway).
> > Any suggestions as to where we might advertise to farm folks (cheaply)
>would
> > be appreciated (either posted here or personally, which ever you feel
> > appropriate).
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Tom Anslow
> > Catawba Island, OH
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Market-farming mailing list
> > Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
> >
> > Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
> >
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:04:36 -0400
>From: "logrock" <logrock at bellsouth.net>
>Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sellig a farm
>To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Message-ID:
> 
><!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA/SOUVv/SWUG/BnMkLllb0sKAAAAQAAAARqcElezKQ0C3JQrG//8/UAEAAAAA at bellsouth.net>
>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
>Another great site is
>http://www.newfarm.org/depts/classifieds/index.shtml , and it is free.
>Best of luck.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
>[mailto:market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Tom at
>Limerock
>Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 7:45 AM
>To: Market Farming
>Subject: [Market-farming] sellig a farm
>
>
>Hello,  Let me apoligize up front if anyone feels this is a bit OT.
>
>We will not be farming any more.  Being located in an area that used to
>be
>very well-known for its fruit, but now known as a summer playground,
>only
>developers are interested (cost of  land).  We are on one of the last
>two
>family farms/roadside markets that are still in production.  Many of our
>
>customers are upset about our decision.
>
>Our only advertisement has been a sign out front (on a busy state
>highway).
>Any suggestions as to where we might advertise to farm folks (cheaply)
>would
>be appreciated (either posted here or personally, which ever you feel
>appropriate).
>
>Thank you.
>Tom Anslow
>Catawba Island, OH
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Market-farming mailing list
>Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
>
>Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:48:44 -0500
>From: "Juanita Garcia" <nitag at ev1.net>
>Subject: [Market-farming] RE milk & powdery mildew
>To: "Market Farming Newsletter" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Message-ID: <000a01c5c117$111d2b20$cd04f640 at D2RVF521>
>Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
>Does it leave a white residue?
>
>Thanks!
>Pam Corey
>Rose Hill Plantation
>
>
>
>It's more like a pearly sheen, and as the plants get water and moisture
>over the course of the next few days it kinda just disappears - along
>with the mildew. Good luck!
>
>Juanita Garcia
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Market-farming mailing list
>Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming
>
>Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm
>
>
>End of Market-farming Digest, Vol 32, Issue 20
>**********************************************

Scott Breneman
Farm Manager
Goodwill at Homefields Farm
150 Letort Rd
Millersville, PA 17551
717-871-3110




More information about the Market-farming mailing list