[Market-farming] Carrot germination

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Tue Sep 20 19:27:59 EDT 2005

The answer to good carrot germination is water, water, water. Try to
keep the surface damp till the carrots emerge. It won't take long! I
learned that carrots can germinate even quicker in hot soils than
warm ones. We were off the scale of the table in Veg Growers
Handbook and Seed Starters Handbook this August. I planned to
flame weed before the carrots emerged (if you haven't tried flame
weeding you should - it's magic!). I went there on the 5th day after
sowing, to flame, but the carrots were up. I used overhead irrigation
every 2nd night, to keep ours damp.

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA. Zone 7