[Market-farming] Squash Plant Longevity

TxBeeFarmer txbeefarmer at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 20 18:04:09 EDT 2005

This question may be simple to most of you, but I just don't know the
answer.

I plant two or three kinds of squash each year.  And..., each year the
squash plants produce like crazy for a while, turn gray, and die.  I always
thought this was just the way it was supposed to be and chalked it up to the
natural cycle of squash plants.  Now I'm not sure.  Is it possible that it's
the squash bugs that cause the plants to "crash" after a period of time?
Could I get a much longer crop of squash by controlling the squash bugs
better?  Oh yes..., I know the bugs cause a lot of damage to the plants, but
is it the s. bug that actually causes the plants to crash, and could I get
another month out of the plants if I focus on s. bug control?  Is the extra
production I'd get by controlling the s. bugs worth the time and effort to
control the s. bugs?

Told ya it was simple, but I don't know where else to find "REAL" answers
from folks who have tried it with and without the beloved s. bugs.

Thanks for your help.

TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)