[Market-farming] Watermelons

Errol Castens castens at peoplepc.com
Fri Sep 16 16:00:48 EDT 2005

Pam wrote:

Someone here is trying to persuade me that I'll get bigger melons if we go back to
our old 10ft spacing. I'm sceptical, as I don't remember them getting smaller when
we switched to the closer rows. His reason is that he thinks bigger melons are
sweeter. I'm thinking of organising a blind taste test with cubes of watermelon from
different size melons to find out if this is really true. I'd appreciate hearing others'
opinions.

Errol replies:

No scientific analysis here, but I prefer smaller watermelons myself. I've had humongous ones that were mealy and stringy and not very sweet or otherwise tasty at all. Besides, lots of people don't have room to store the big melons. If your spacing suits you and your melons suit your customers, I'd consider your neighbor's advice worth exactly what it cost you.

Then again, my advice wasn't very expensive, either ...

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7b-ish