[Market-farming] Understanding Manure Analysis

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Fri Sep 16 15:39:31 EDT 2005

Can anyone help me understand a "manure analysis" we had done
on the tofu whey from our tofu production business?  We have
results as lbs/1000gals of the liquid, and I'm trying to figure out how
it could be used as fertiliser, if that is even wise. It has 7.58 N/2.24
P/18.51 K.. funny numbers to work with. Very high in
Potash.....Would it be good for potatoes?

To supply all the potash needed for potatoes, we'd need 27,000 gals
per acre, following the soil analysis manual from our testing lab.
Then we'd need N and P from some other (organic) source.

Meanwhile the ratio of K:Mg:Ca is 22:7:1, as compared to a more
desirable soil level of 2-7%:10-15%: 65-75%. Our soils are lowish in
Calcium and high in Magnesium already. It looks unpromising to me
- can anyone help me find the value of this stuff?

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia