[Market-farming] time to put 'em to work?

Old Timin' oldtimin at williams-net.com
Thu Sep 15 14:46:30 EDT 2005

I have also just this year started working with draft animals. I have a
great belgiun mare that I use now. I also have a mammoth jack donkey that I
plan to breed to my mare and make mules with. I hope to use my mare to train
my mule to work also. I find them far more enjoyable that engine powered
equipment. If you just look at speed they are not the best method. It is
when you look at their other traits that their advantages come out. You can
work the soil much earlier with animals, they are quieter, anything that
leaks out of them in the field is good for the soil, they make fertilizer
for you and can help make their own fuel, they come out to greet you when
you go out to them,they smell better IMHO, and they can do many other non
gardening things, like pleasure riding etc..
Oldtimin