[Market-farming] Pelleted Seeds

Kelly Saxer kellysaxer at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:51:28 EST 2005

Hi All,

I wanted to get folk's opinion on pelleted seeds.  I use a walk-behind
Earthway seeder at my farm and it does a pretty darn good job for most
everything, with the exception of turnips, rutabaga and other brassica-size
seeds that need room to develop.  As a result, I spend a TON of time
thinning.  I've heard of pelleted seeds, but haven't ever tried them.  Do
you think this would help remedy the shortcomings of the Earthway seeder for
brassica-sized seeds.  Also, I've heard that pelleted seeds sometimes have
germination problems...is this true?  And if so, would they we worthwhile to
try?

Thanks for your advice,

Kelly Saxer
Desert Roots Farm