[Market-farming] cultivating tractors

Wiediger, Alison awiediger at HART.k12.ky.us
Tue Nov 29 15:25:07 EST 2005

Okay, here are my two pennies on deciding between these two:

Get a 140.  If you live in tobacco country, they are common and relatively
cheap right now.  The Super A's have become collector's items and can be
much more expensive - although they are beautiful restored (and not
practical for farm work at that point!)  I have seen 70's 140's for under
2000 lately.  That's less than a riding lawn mower!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

IH 140, Super A

-lots of power

-harder to turn and steer than cub

-slighly less visiblibility--better used for one row cultivating, or stale
bedding w/basket weeder, or with finger weeder

-easy to mount fert sidedressor

-split hydraulics, you can operate front and rear independantly

-geared too high--they go fast!!

-gas engine, but not too bad a guzzler

-$2000-$4000