[Market-farming] shade

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Mon Nov 28 05:06:24 EST 2005

I shade peppers using row cover on 8' or 9' hoops or if the peppers get
really big will put up a hoophouse frame and cover that with shade cloth
or row cover.

have also thought about using wood snow fence up on supports (2x4's
driven in the ground perhaps?) or wood lattice (which might be cheaper
than snow fence)

Last season planted the peppers amongst a row of 10' tall trees (a lot
of black walnut in the stand). Got zero sun scald but also go very very
leggy plants that tended to fall over if they did not have really good
support. They also came on 3 weeks late and the yields were down. I
would not recommend planting peppers in a stand of trees, especially
black walnuts.

Lucy Goodman