[Market-farming] Women's Voices in the 2007 FarmBill--Pleaserespond]]

Jill Bussiere jdt at itol.com
Wed Nov 23 09:40:19 EST 2005

Women's Voices in the 2007 Farm Bill-- Please respondI agree that all have
valuable contributions to make, and that we can learn much from one another,
no matter what our differences.

Yet, I want to put forward that there are times when it is appropriate for
people to meet and exclude others.

In an organization that I belong to, we have caucuses for groups of people
that are not well represented in society - groups that are less powerful
than others - groups that have even been repressed by our dominant society..
These groups each elect a representative to the governing body to give them
more of a voice - a voice that is not as loud in our society or our
organization for both historical and traditional reasons.

So, we have a Women's caucus, a Youth caucus, a Diversity caucus, and a LBGT
(Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgendered) caucus.

White men do not have a caucus - because they already have such power in our
society.

And yet, men, white men, and all, have valuable voices in our organization,
and, in fact, as in the rest of society, have a higher average of
representation in our organization than one would predict if one looked at
demographics.

So, while a affimr the contribution of all voices in any organization, I
also affirm the encouragement of voices that are not as well represented.

Besides caucuses, we also use consensus in decision making, as an attempt to
hear all voices.

Not perfect, but both do help!

                Jill Bussiere, Wisconsin