[Market-farming] Women's Voices in the 2007 Farm Bill--Please respond]]

Cherry Tree Farms ctfarms at helicon.net
Tue Nov 22 09:50:41 EST 2005

Women's Voices in the 2007 Farm Bill-- Please respondOkay I will respond; how are women farmer's voices different from farmer's voices?

As the one over the years who has tended the kids while farming and made most of the meals and done a good bit of housework I don't buy into the societies expected gender roles argument.

While waiting in line to comment to Cheryl Tevis (Writer/editor for Successful Farming magazine) I overheard the 2 ladies in front of me saying "yes it was all nice, but what about WOMEN farmer issues?  How can they succeed?" To which Cheryl responded "go out and be good farmers."  "But what about WOMEN farmer issues?"  "Be successful farmers and the women part will take care of itself."

I have noticed that when animals come through the sale barn the gender of the grower didn't affect the price.  Same at the  produce yards.  At the farmers markets we all have certain people whom we connect well with; that is a personality issue rather than gender.

My defining moment in the women's ag movement came at the same conference where Cheryl spoke.  This particular conference had a pre-conference the day before that was only open to women.  After listening to how it was a lovely program and this large regional organization should put on more such conferences, I asked my dining table mates how it would be if a conference would be staged where only men could attend?

Think about it.

P.S.  We suddenly became the loudest table in the room.