[Market-farming] HOMEGROWN HOOP HOUSE BLUES

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 10 12:48:44 EST 2005

My smaller hoop houses are all made from 1/2" galvanized plumbing pipe. My oldest
frames are 20 years old and are almost as good as new. I could sell them for what I
paid for them and in all these years I never had a structure fail. Buy quality hoop
frames from the start you can't go wrong. I have always found that my houses paid for
themselves in the first year of use. Please don't waste your money on rinky dink rebar
and pvc they won't last one season after the snow piles up.There is no resale value in
bent pvc, and rebar brings roughly a penny a pound as scrap metal.
Don't trust construction grade poly, yes its cheaper but will not last one season.
sometimes it won't last one ice storm. 4 year poly costs twice the price but will last
at least 4 years. In northern latitudes 4 year poly can last 6 years or more if it
doesn't flop around on the frame. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.