[Market-farming] Hoop house blues - washers

Tom at Limerock limerock at thirdplanet.net
Wed Nov 9 22:24:00 EST 2005

What we used for a 10x20 awning with metal poles.

Took a piece of 1x6 treated wood and made 'doughnuts' by using a 3" hole saw to make the circles then bore a 1'2" hole in the center.  Gotta cut the circle first, if you make the 1'2" hole first the hole saw will not cut properly.  Works well for a few years, then will compact the ground somewhat.

Tom

  * the hoops eventually started to dig their way into teh ground. Next time
  there will be "washers" over the rebar before I put the hoops on, to stop
  them sinking.

  Sub-lessons:
  a) don't contract to supply things until you've tried out your methods :-)
  b) drip irrigation is your friend. Really, it is incredibly worth the money
  in time saved and improved growth, even here on the Wet Coast.

  Kevin
  Fiddlers Farm
  Powell River, BC