[Market-farming] garlic spacing

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Sat Nov 5 11:11:53 EST 2005

Thanks. It's clear you understand soils more than I. Let me explain
what I have done to the soil and what my intent is.

I am exploring ways to get the most out of precious little urban space.
My neighbor has a lawn service and provides all the chopped up leaves
that I can use. I have an 18X4 foot bed with a yard of last years
leaves mixed with ground alfalfa composting in a pile on that bed which
I will till in very soon. About two months ago I fertilized the bed
with Bioform fertilizer. I do not want to ruin my soil as I strive for
best production. I have been told that when I till I will introduce air
and the soil's nitrogen will be used as microbes eat the organic
matter. I thought that I had to replace both every year. I would like
any references that you would like to send.

I'm not sure about how the information about soil temperature above 60
translates into what I do in the beds or when in the year I do it. I am
also wondering if my sources of nitrogen and organic matter are
adequate.

Thanks again for your help.

Marty Kraft
Kansas City