[Market-farming] garlic spacing

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Fri Nov 4 22:08:55 EST 2005

Leigh - Last year was the first year that we put drip under the
mulch. The drip was supposed to be turned off unless needed, but,
apparently, a zealous intern saw the drip closed off and turned it
on, so, during a dry spell in in July, the garlic, under 6inches of
mulch, wound up getting an inch of water every time the lettuce
needed an inch. We are on clay and, frankly, I should subsoil, but
haven't. Anyway, I had a bunch of bulbs in the middle of our bed turn
yellow and the roots pulled off in the soil when I pulled the bulbs.
I didn't suspect maggots, I suspected too much water.

What I hope you do is make time to study the lifecycle of the maggots
that are affecting garlic and then determine how to disrupt that
cycle so they can be pests. And then, of course, share that
information with us here.

I hope that I don't get root maggots this year. I've just got to have
all the garlic I'm planting! -Allan