[Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds

Wiediger, Alison awiediger at HART.k12.ky.us
Fri May 27 09:00:47 EDT 2005

And, we ran our layers in one bed last winter - had the biggest harvest of
asparagus (HUGE spears) ever. Once we stop harvest, and the stalks are
mature and leafed out, we plan to run them over all of it.  Hope to help
control asparagus beetle, but mostly, great fertilization.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

-----Original Message-----
From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON [mailto:jhendric at wisc.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:05 AM
To: Market Farming
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds

I've heard the same thing about chickens and asparagus but I recall
hearing a presentation by an Indiana grower at a small farm conference
who successfully raised turkeys in his fenced asparagus patch AFTER he
was finished harvesting for the year.  He reported that the turkeys kept
the weeds down but did not harm the asparagus.  They also ate asparagus
beetles.  He report high demand and profits from both the asparagus and
turkeys.  -John