[Market-farming] Horsetail

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Thu May 26 14:33:37 EDT 2005

Ah, we planted 12 beds (4x10 feet) of Equisetum hyemale (one of several horsetail species) in order to create hundreds of propagules.  We succeeded, but were dismayed to see that it showed up in the rest of the 36 beds by going underneath the paths between beds (which were covered with heavy woven plastic.)

We also planted some in a bed lined on the bottom and sides with heavy plastic, which it easily escaped!

Though not ecologically invasive, it certainly is a vigorous vegetative grower!!!  And it is not easy to just pull out by hand, we had to dig out the roots.  There were beds of equisetum on the highway that had been hit with roundup but they survived.  However, by mowing, we were easily able to keep the horsetail from sprouting up in the lawn areas beside the beds.

None of these beds were watered anymore than any other medicinal plant so it certainly does not need to be on the edge of a pond, at least here in Mississipi, zone 7b.

I tried selling it at the farmers market as a cut flower since it is so striking but had mixed results.
nan at dancing goats farm