[Market-farming] RE: Going Squanto

Alliums garlicgrower at green-logic.com
Tue May 24 12:23:05 EDT 2005

Hi, Folks!

If I had a limited supply of fish parts, I'd use them on alliums or
cucurbits rather than tomatoes -- they need the nitrogen more.

I start my tomatoes in a potting soil/worm castings/crushed eggshell mix.
Worm castings really inspire heirloom tomato seedling to grow fast! I then
add more eggshells to the planting hole and mulch heavily with straw after
June 1 (when slug breeding season is over) to keep soil diseases from
splashing up.  To keep blossom end rot away (unless you have a resistant
variety, but with all I'm asked to grow for SSE, that's not always in the
cards), you can't add too many eggshells.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of