[Market-farming] Going Squanto was Heirloom Tomatoes

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Mon May 23 22:23:13 EDT 2005

Nice to have a good tomato discussion going.

Did I miss a discussion on preparing the planting hole?

In the past, we've backfilled with pure compost. Last year, though,
the compost seemed to be holding too much moisture and, for a while,
I thought we'd lose the whole crop. This year, we're going with 1/3
compost and 2/3 soil (with kelp and rock dust)

We've had great luck fishing this spring. I'm wondering if anyone has
had actual good results from burying fish with tomatoes. I know it
comes historically recommended for corn, I'm wondering if tomatoes
would enjoy a trout head or two in the planting hole. Anyone have an
educated guess?

I'd really like to hear what the rest of you put in your planting
holes, especially those of you using fertilizers.

Thanks -Allan