[Market-farming] Heirloom Tomatoes

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Mon May 23 09:00:09 EDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:48:19 -0600, you wrote:

>With mostly heirlooms we're working with 3' x 8' beds, and all other
>veggies in similar beds, slightly raised.  We're wondering if cherry
>tomatoes can be set out closer than regular size or slicing tomatoes.  And
>if so, how close, and will spacing affect irrigation needs.

Cherry tomatoes are, typically, very large tomato plants -
often larger than other tomato plants, in fact.  I certainly
don't think you can set them closer.  If anything, further
apart might be better.

Don't know about the irrigation.  We generally have too much
rain.

Not this year though:  0.5" precipitation in April, 0.0" in
May.  This is awful for spring (in the northeast) and I hope
it changes very soon.  I have a bad feeling that it's an
omen for the summer....

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.