[Market-farming] Heirloom Tomatoes

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Mon May 23 08:06:28 EDT 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:08:18 -0500, you wrote:

>Regards to the list:
>
>This year, we're growing more heirlooms than ever before.  I appreciate
>the information about tomato stakes for them.  Usually, all our tomatoes
>go in one big field.  When we plant all we have of one variety, we
>finish the row with another and on and on.  With heirlooms, should we
>plant them in blocks instead of rows along with all the others or what?
>Any comments from heirloom growers would be appreciated.

Unless you are planning on saving seeds from the heirlooms,
I see no reason to treat them any differently.

Tomatoes are (largely) self-fertile in any case, but any
(insect-pollinated) crossing that might occur will only
affect the seeds.  It would not affect this year's crop.

If I were planning on saving seeds for my own use, I'd
separate the different varieties as much as possible.

If I were planning on saving seeds *to sell as seeds*, I
would not only separate, but also cage, the particular
plants whose seed would be saved (using floating row cover).

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.