[Market-farming] No-till Dryland Pumpkins

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Sat May 21 12:16:31 EDT 2005

I planted 14 acres of no till pumpkins, seeded rye in fall mowed it down
cut slots and seeded pumpkins in June. I hoped to just mow the weeds
until vines covered ground. It did not work as well as I planned. Weeds
took over after pumpkin vines run. Weeds harbor aphids that spread virus
into pumpkins...
A successful no till method developed in NJ is to seed vetch in fall,
kill with paraquat in May and follow with roundup at pumpkin seeding.
Then apply a residual herbicide like Prefar or Strategy after seeding.
When vetch is allowed to grow as a living mulch without herbicides, the
vetch sucks the soil dry and pumpkin yields suffer.
If you want to try notill I would grow the bush type of short vined
pumpkins, they form a dense 8ft round circle that shades out weeds...
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.