[Market-farming] tomato stakes

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Wed May 18 07:34:27 EDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:06:00 -0600 (GMT-06:00), you wrote:

>Tom, half-inch rebar (concrete reinforcement bar) makes great tomato stakes for the Florida weave system. It's a little more expensive the first time, but it lasts for years and it's available at most hardware stores. 10-foot sections cut in half are typical and work especially well for determinate varieties.

We use it also.

We cage our full-size (indeterminate) tomatoes, but the
cages need stakes (or else the weight of the tomatoes causes
the cage to fall down), and we use 5' pieces of rebar for
those.  Our local lumberyard cut it for us.

It came in 8' pieces, so I use the leftover 3' pieces for
stakes for smaller, determinate tomatoes (which I don't
cage, but only stake and tie).

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.