[Market-farming] speaking of mulch

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Tue May 17 10:07:16 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/15/05 11:05:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
mmaysen at alltel.net writes:

> What do I look for when buying "hay"?

The last few years we have been planting winter rye in the fall and this time
of year wehn it is about 18" to 2' tall I cut it and bale it in big round
bales.  Next year or next spring I will grind it with a tub grinder and use it
for mulch around the farm.  Want to cut it before it starts to head out.  Our
grinder cuts it into little pieces about 1" long.  Clean hay will work the same
as the rye.  I prefer to grow my own mulch, when you buy, it is usually
someones junk hay they can't use to feed because of mold or weeds that is in the
hay.

Phil