[Market-farming] Cut Flowers

Wendy & Randy Gray hoemangray at earthlink.net
Mon May 16 17:29:27 EDT 2005

Mark -
I sell my suns to florists and by the stem ($1.00 ea) or in mixed bouquets or bunches of suns at our Farmer's Market. I know others do to! The pollenless are preferred by florists since they aren't messy (great for brides as well).

I grow the Procut series, Joker, Chianti, Cappachino, Lemon Aura, Double Quick Shine, Lemon Eclair, (I'm sure I'm missing some), then I also have thousands of volunteers that get transplanted to other places for windblocks and out of rows that now have something else in them!  Suns are great windblocks and its windy here too! I don't even have to use support netting on them, and do on many other flowers.

Farming flowers is definitely labor intensive, but has lots of positives...you don't need as much ground!  On the Garden Web forum, there is a cutting garden forum and it has a number of small and large cutflower growers who regularly participate, so that might be another resource for you, in addition to growing for market and The Flwoer Farmer book.

Another option might be lilies and glads (need support though)...those always do very well.  Snaps, cosmos, dahlias, and lots of perennials are options too!  I probably would lose everyone if I list them all.  There is also one other great book...Specialty Cut Flowers by Allen Armitage...a super resource!

Good luck,
Wendy z6ish Oregon