[Market-farming] speaking of mulch

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Mon May 16 09:35:32 EDT 2005

MessageOh dear, not true at all here in Mississippi. I used [wheat]straw mulch one year on 35 beds at work and I might as well be raising wheat as a crop two years later.  And boy, is wheat hard to pull up by hand and/or till in.  I also used it at my farm (where beds are also worked by hand) and I can see why it would be good for erosion control - the roots are tough!  No more wheat straw for me!
nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi, zone 7b

  Hay has seeds which will germinate and cause problems.  Better to try straw for mulch - few or no seeds.
  Kathy