[Market-farming] Re: Japanese Knotwood

Jack Lane jacklane at mstar2.net
Sat May 14 21:30:17 EDT 2005

      Roundup is a great tool for weed suppression. It is best used in
the fall when the perennial plants can take the herbicide down into the
roots. I had some great suppression of a curly dock infested field using
a broadcast of generic roundup last fall.
	That being said you need to make sure and plant a crop or cover
crop in the spring. Otherwise you let mother nature take over. Roundup
just kills living plants, it does nothing for the seeds that exist in
the "seed bank" of all soils.
	I hear you can get similar weed suppression if you cultivate and
overseed with a vigorous cover crop. Anyone had success doing that with
rhizomous persistent weeds?

 but it is only one of the tools to consider when developing an overall
Integrated Pest Management strategy.