[Market-farming] Re: Japanese Knotwood

ktk2a ktk2a at earthlink.net
Sat May 14 12:20:05 EDT 2005

When I moved here 5 years ago there was a large stand of Japanese
Knotwood...didn't know what it was at the time and left it alone.  However
within two years the stand had doubled in size to about 50 x 80 feet, and
appeared to keep spreading and was taking over my garden.  I brush hogged it
down, and dug some of the rhizomes, but quickly discovered that was an
impossible job.  So, organic concerns aside, I began spraying with a product
that I got at the feed store with the active ingredient glyphosate, believe
the same ingredient is in Roundup.  3 years later I have a few sproutings,
but overall, I believe I am finally winning the battle.  However now, the
horsetail is taking over....will it ever end??

Kathy
Cedarglen
Western WA