[Market-farming] cats in the garden and mice in the greenhouse

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Thu May 12 12:10:13 EDT 2005

Having cats also (only 4, hah!) and chickens too that somehow manage to
invade the garden, I have used chicken wire as a "shield" over the beds and
floating row covers to keep cats out, since I also have lost plants from cat
urine in the house (not in garden!)  I once tried a spray that was supposed
to repel cats with its nastiness but didn't seem to work well......

BTW, I also tried products made with bobcat urine (phew, they were STINKY)
to keep the mice from eating all the seeds in the hundred plus flats in our
greenhouses at work, and didn't help at all.  Nor did those sonic plug in
devices.  We even tried suspending trays from the middle of the greenhouse
ceiling and mice still got to the flats.

Now I am trialing Garden's Alive "Bull's Eye" bioinsecticide for fire ants
in the greenhouse pots and in the flooring.  So far not impressed, but maybe
someone else has had success.......will keep dosing the ant hills every
week...maybe that is what it takes...
nan at dancing goats farm, mississippi, zone 7b