[Market-farming] Cats in the garden

HERBKDR at aol.com HERBKDR at aol.com
Tue May 10 13:29:47 EDT 2005

We have an "invisible to humans" sign at the end of our driveway that reads
"all cats welcome!"  lol  Needless to say we have become the drop off point for
many soon to be mothers. :(  We find homes, spay and neuter as money allows
and always take good care of them.  Our "tribe" of 19 is feed and watered
daily, has a warm and protected area to sleep and really enjoys our company even
though they are semi-feral cats.  My problem is that the world is their kitty
litter box!

We normally grow only container herb plants and non edibles but this year I
am venturing into heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers.  My question is...will the
cat urine and feces harm my plants? And, will the fruits of my labor be toxic
to humans if grown in a "kitty box" field?

>From the research I have managed to do the only thing I see is the
possibility of Toxoplasmosis.  The onyl info I can glean is that pregnant women should
not be in contact with the soil.  No problem with that at this farm! lol  But
will it affect the vegetables and pass it on to humans?

Sorry for being so long winded, but I want to make sure I don't harm anyone.
Karin