[Market-farming] RE: prices/organic premium

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon May 9 08:54:57 EDT 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Stephanie Nosacek wrote:

> The manager stated that they tried to keep their prices in line with
> supermarket prices. Now since many of the growers are organic and
> there aren't any organic grocery stores in the area I figure they are
> cutting their throats. They should be getting better prices than the
> shipped in produce is selling for. Just my opinion.

The "organic premium" doesn't amount to much in some areas. In some
markets you can get quite a bit more; in others, hardly anything extra.
Around here, some people will pay a little more for organic, and a few
people will pay considerably more; but you can often get further
stressing flavor, fresh, and local.

Some crops will cost you a lot more to raise organically; others
probably won't. Depends a lot on the weeding labor involved.