[Market-farming] RE: selling tomatoes/prices

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun May 8 10:56:14 EDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 12:19 AM, Stephanie Nosacek wrote:

> Instead of selling plants at the farmers/flea market I decided to try
> growing produce to sell. Since most of what I will have are a variety
> of different tomatoes and there are a lot of canners around and a ton
> of bell peppers i thought I might either sell them off the truck
> (which is done quite successfully here) or sell them wholesale to the
> farmers market stand.
>
> Either way, how do you price your stuff? Do you price it according to
> market prices from USDA or just what the market will bear? I figure on
> offering 1/2 bushel boxes of tomatoes for canners and those little
> square boxes for the salad tomatoes and slicers. On the little boxes,
> I'll display them in the box and put them in the bag and keep the box
> unless the customer makes a deal out of it.

USDA market prices, if you mean the ones I think, are wholesale
large-scale market and run lower than you should be getting retail;
though it's useful to know what they are. Look around and see what
tomatoes go for retail in your area, including both other marketers and
the grocery stores. (You may well see a huge range, depending on the
type of pack, even in the same grocery.) Consider what your packaging
is like both in type and quantity (as well as quality: are you selling
firsts only, or also "canning quality" with some blemishes?). Consider
that you're probably providing fresher product than the groceries.
Local produce is beginning to be a selling point in itself, as indeed
it should be. Also, do you have interesting varieties with more flavor?

In general, don't start your prices too low; you'll be doing neither
yourself nor other growers any favors. Bear in mind that you can always
lower prices later in the day or season, but you can't easily raise
them midseason; also that it's possible to lose money selling more
product too cheap, when you could have made money selling less product
at a fair price. -- Remember, however, that you need to know where you
are. What you can get in, for instance, downtown Manhattan isn't what
you can get in Yates County. But more expensive markets often cost more
to sell at, and depending where you are can cost you a lot more in both
time and money to get to.

There's a really good article on this, as well as other subjects,
available at:
http://www.growingformarket.com/
Click on the link for the free special issue about selling at farmer's
markets.

If you sell them wholesale to other people's farmers' market stands,
you're going to get a percentage of what they can sell them for. Ask
them what their usual markup is. Again, if you're providing better
quality than other possible sources, you should get paid more for it;
as they can charge more, and as they should have less waste. But
(whether direct or wholesale) you really do need the better quality to
charge the extra price.

> Does anybody ever sell green tomatoes for slicing? Do you charge more
> or the same?

I sell some; not lots, but a few customers like them. They want nice
big ones, usually, for sliced fried green tomatoes; some people want
them for green tomato relish, too. They should be close to mature. I
price them a little bit less than the same quantity of red ones, but
not much less; you know they won't be lost in the last ripening stages
to insects, deer, or whatever, and by removing them from the plant
early you increase its ability to ripen others; but you've still got
almost the same amount of work in them, and you're losing the chance to
sell those particular ones as ripe ones.