[Market-farming] working kids

jay gee JayGee at jghelp.com
Fri May 6 16:20:13 EDT 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:59:33 -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:

> >They will probably have to get a work permit issued by the state 
> >that you live in.  I'm not sure if every state requires this, but at 
> >the least I would get their parents permission and have them sign a 
> >waiver that releases you from any responsibility in case they are 
> >injured, sick, or harmed while on your farm.
> Anyone have a copy of such a waiver? I'd sure like to see it! -Allan

IANAL but my opinion is that no court would
uphold a waiver of liability signed on behalf
of a child (protected minor status) by their
parent, absolving you of liability for performing
work benefitting you on your property.  When
you hire someone it is your duty to supervise
them, including preventing them from harming

Check not only with your state Employment
Department, but also with your insurance

There is no problem with things unless something
goes wrong, but then all heck can break loose.

I started working in a warehouse when I was
11 and it didn't screw me up too badly.

Giving children who want to work the opportunity
to do so is good for everyone involved.  But be
sure to do it by the book so everyone is covered
in the event of unplanned calamity.

Have a great Spring everyone!

jay gee
not a farmer  --  but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:

More information about the Market-farming mailing list