[Market-farming] RE: Test to see and selling tomatoes

Stephanie Nosacek breezynosacek at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 00:19:29 EDT 2005

Yes Lucy,

I tried posting twice and the darn thing kept scrubbing it. So, hello again
everybody! I sat here and read 30 of the lists emails last night so I could
get caught up, normally I would have gotten kicked off after reading 1
message. Hate my ISP but it's cheap and I'm rural.

Instead of selling plants at the farmers/flea market I decided to try
growing produce to sell. Since most of what I will have are a variety of
different tomatoes and there are a lot of canners around and a ton of bell
peppers i thought I might either sell them off the truck (which is done
quite successfully here) or sell them wholesale to the farmers market stand.

Either way, how do you price your stuff? Do you price it according to market
prices from USDA or just what the market will bear? I figure on offering 1/2
bushel boxes of tomatoes for canners and those little square boxes for the
salad tomatoes and slicers. On the little boxes, I'll display them in the
box and put them in the bag and keep the box unless the customer makes a
deal out of it.

Does anybody ever sell green tomatoes for slicing? Do you charge more or the
same?

Steph