[Market-farming] Squash blossoms

Cherry Tree Farms ctfarms at helicon.net
Sun May 1 10:34:46 EDT 2005

Hi Adriana,

        Having sold a few to chefs,  I will throw my 2 cents in to select
questions that weren't just accidents:
1:  Did well with Patty Pan.
4:  Bi-weekly planting
5:  Never tried trellising, don't know anyone who has.
6:  Pests - A rifle works better on ground hogs than row covers (maybe this
is a local thing)
7:  Pick the day before they open, evening seems to work well.
8:  Air cool, slight spray of water to maintain plant moisture the following
morning before shipping
9:  Pack loosely, Clamshells work well with a slightly moistened paper towel
in the bottom.
     Paper sacks work also but present a less professional appearance.
10:  Here Chefs buy by the dozen, regional (west PA) price runs $3.50-$3.75
per dozen.

Hope this helps,
Doyle