[Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants

Petersons family petersns at whidbey.com
Fri Jul 29 13:49:29 EDT 2005

I was afraid to do it too, but recalled talking to an older gardener
who had worked in greenhouses and remembered "stopping" the tomatoes,
by topping them.  Our climate can also be humid and air circulation is
frequently a problem in our hoop house.  I topped about 200 tomato
plants last week.  As I went through picking today I checked them - no
rampant new growth anywhere - maybe 10 plants had put up another top
shoot.  They don't appear shocked either. My goal is to have them ripen
the set fruit as quickly as possible instead of spending energy on
creating new.  And the alternate goal - more air circulation has
happened.  Mine were topped at about 6.5 ft.  I can't reach a lot
higher than that to pick anyway.
Molly
Whidbey Island , Washington