[Market-farming] Eggplant Question

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Jul 28 22:30:28 EDT 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

> I don't know much about eggplant (don't like it much so I rarely grow
> it).
> I'm growing several varieties in my market garden this year because a
> couple people asked for it. The long oriental type are soft...should
> they
> be that way? I harvest them at about 8-10" long. The big dark purple
> ones
> in the store are hard as rocks, and my other varieties are firm but not
> hard. Is 'soft' normal for long orientals or are they under/over ripe?

Depends on what you mean by soft. They should not be flabby with
wrinkly skins, that's from too long storage or sometimes from drought
in the field. But they should certainly not he "hard as rocks", and
neither should the more standard type! If the eggplant in the store are
like that they are almost certainly bitter and terrible tasting. (Maybe
you had eggplant like that and that's why you don't like it; though
eggplant is a bit of an acquired taste.) Good eggplant of any shape
should not be bitter (except I think for some varieties grown for
specific Asian cuisines that want bitter fruit, but even most Asian
recipes seem to want the nonbitter ones). 8" to 10" long for Asian
types should be fine; I harvest at 6" to 12", but then I have some
customers who like little and some who like big ones. Some markets only
want the little ones.

> Also, should they be refrigerated? I normal leave the veggies out in
> the
> farm stand during the day and refridgerate everything except tomatoes
> at
> night (I'm only open 3 days a week and harvest fresh every week...give
> away or feed any excess to the sheep after market days)

Don't refrigerate unless you have a cooler set at 55º F or above (such
as for tomatoes). Too much cold will make them discolored and bitter.
They should keep several days at cool room temperature and a couple of
days even if the weather's hot, but of course not in direct sun.