[Market-farming] Eggplant Question

Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Thu Jul 28 11:46:52 EDT 2005

Eggplant is one of our specialties and we grow more than 20 varieties.
The Asian varieties that I know (apart from the green Thai types and
some long white varieties are quite firm) vary in softness but are all
considerably softer and have shorter shelf life than the usual
supermarket fare.  They are also more delicate in flavor and rarely get
bitter before seeds develop.  (A good eggplant, Lynn, to start tasting
-- you may end up liking.)

We make sure the eggplant is picked at shiny stage, totally dry, and if
we need to hold for longer than overnight, refrigerate in thick plastic
bags.  Even the soft varieties will hold well for close to, sometimes
more than a week (although we wouldn't market any that had been held for
more than a few days because of their expected reduced life.  Instead we
would enjoy or convert to value-added product baba ganouj which can be
frozen and held.)  It is important that the eggplant not be in the
coldest part of the fridge as there will be damage if they are too cold.

By the way, some of our customers have marked preferences for age/size
of eggplant.  We make sure we have a variety -- which happens  anyway
when we are picking mostly once, maybe twice a week.

All best wishes,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm at marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm at marpin.dm>