[Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Thu Jul 28 09:22:52 EDT 2005

Can someone remind me what the philosophy of topping tomato plants is?
I've got a lot of heirloom indeterminants growing Florida weaved on 4ft stakes.
A lot of them are by now 6ft plants.
In our humidity, the hangover becomes a source of disease and a
hideout for insects populations.
I seem to recall, also, that the tomatoes above 4ft will not ripen
before Sept 15, so I can't get excited about losing them by topping.

BUT, I'm afraid of promoting rank growth by topping and I'm afraid of
promoting shock. And, frankly, as important as tomatoes are to us
each year, I'm just plain afraid!

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks -Allan
Shepherdstown, WV