[Market-farming] Melon Patch

Tom at Limerock limerock at thirdplanet.net
Tue Jul 19 07:19:47 EDT 2005

Pat,

I am guessing that you are worried about damage due to your equipment (tractor & wagon).

What I have seen others do is have the equipment running beside the field and you have several people walking & picking and tossing the melons from one to the other to the other to the other to the person on the wagon.  Hopefully they all have good eye/hand coordination.

Tom

I also have a melon question.  We have the most abundant crop of watermelons
we have ever had.  The vines are very tall and has consumed every square
inch of the patch.  We have melons that should be ready in the next couple
of weeks and then there are tons of new ones still making.  How do we go
about harvesting this jungle of melons without doing extensive damage to the
smaller melons and vines? Any ideas?

Pat