[Market-farming] Squash blossoms

Adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Sun Jul 17 10:22:09 EDT 2005

Marcy,
I'm doing squash blossoms for the first time this year.

The best (biggest) flowers are from Costata Romanesco Zucchini - I'm
charging $.75 apiece - this is in line with what wholesalers are charging in
my area.  A friend in Pennsylvania gets a lot less because Amish growers are
charging as low as $.25 each.  When I only have smaller sqaush blossoms
available I'm charging $.50 apiece.

Harvest flowers that are wide open first thing in the morning and put
directly into a cooler with an ice pack in the bottom covered with a towel
or cardboard to avoid chill injury - yes, they are delicate but you will get
used to it. It's a good idea to have a tray of some sort in the cooler so
that you minimize individual handling after harvest.  Line up the flowers so
that the stems are all in the same direction  - tangled flowers equals
tangled stems.  After a couple of hours the flowers get somewhat limp and
you can pack them into clamshells.  I get 25 in a 9" x 9" clamshell.

You will not get used to the scratching of the spikes on the stems.  Plan on
replacing the plants after about a month of production as they get "spent".
I did not realize that the Romanescos were more vining than bush type
plants.  In the future I will trellis them.

Adriana
In hot, hot Alabama